No true sync?

I realized there is no real sync system, you can add watch folders but they are not really synched since no files are ever deleted from your servers… that is a major shortcoming in my view. I use iTunes to clean up my files, keep them organized etc… then add that as watch folder… I have no intention of having to do some manual cleanup on VOX’s side… who does?!?

This is such a strange shortcoming I’m really puzzled…What is the rationale behind that ? Is true synching technically too complex to implement for your guys…?I cannot see any positive reason for this behavior (and if anyone does there should at least be an option to have true sync for those who want it).

Imagine if DropBox worked that way… no-one would use it. Seriously people… Hello ?!!

Hi,

The watch folder feature is more for automatic uploading to the VOX Cloud. If you need to delete something from VOX Cloud, just find it using search in VOX app and delete directly using the VOX client.

Let`s pretend that VOX: Watch Folders feature is working as you’ve demanded…your have set up the watch folder in VOX, after that you have decided to clean up your local HDD, as you have all copies backed up in VOX Cloud.
Once you have deleted those tracks on your local HDD, you have them also erased from VOX Cloud.

Now, you have no copies at all )

Additionally, in this scenario, you would need to keep all copies of your music files in the watch folder on your local HDD to have them stored in VOX Cloud as well, which is not really useful, as VOX Cloud provides you with a possibility to save the local space by keeping your music files in VOX Cloud.

Probably, I am missing the main point - please explain. Thanks!

I’m guessing he wants the client to monitor a folder and duplicate on the server what is on the local folder to eliminate all the manual work of organizing the server, the same feature a good music player, such as foobar, will have (in that foobar monitors a folder, when you drop in files it adds them in the player without you having to do all this manually)… which is a perfectly reasonable request. Having to maintain a library on the local machine, and then do it again on the server is tedious… it is, at least, a good option to have in the Vox client so that the user can choose to have the server files automatically match the local files.

I am ABSOLUTELY IN AGREEMENT with ianmediastudio. I love ALMOST everything about VOX Loop, EXCEPT the fact my Vox Loop is not a live sync of my iTunes music library (watch folder). At our studio, we are constantly adding files to iTunes that are only going to be in iTunes temporarily. This is often because they are non-final mixes (in the case of music we are working on), or because we get hold of a better recording (remaster, etc.) of some album we love, or because we just get an opportunity to re-encode older digital files with better encoders at higher bit rates. In addition to that, meta-data in general is constantly getting updated, improved, corrected, fleshed-out, etc.

The upshot of all that is this: The Vox Loop just turns into a trash collector. There is NO WAY, we have the time or inclination to constantly monitor and fix the Loop on a continuous basis. In fact, this is a ridiculous requirement. When Vox suggests that Loop users manually pull weeds from the Loop, it actually feels like a slap in the face.

When I read the Vox_Support-Team’s reply to ianmediastudio, I couldn’t believe my eyes. In my view, the system is so obviously broken. I think what Vox needs to understand is that there are heavy users of the system that are NOT relying on Vox to keep a backup copy of every single iteration of every file that ever existed in the watch folder. In fact, there are heavy users of the Loop (like me and ianmediastudio, and many others I have to believe) that find the lack of live-sync capability is a SERIOUS BUG in the user experience. At a minimum, given the price of the participation, I would expect Vox to consider the needs of its users and quickly offer an option for the Loop behavior to mirror the watch folder, rather remain in the state of ugly garbage collector. IMAGINE WHAT YOUR EMAIL PROGRAM WOULD LOOK LIKE IF YOU COULD NEVER DELETE AN EMAIL MESSAGE. NUTS!!!

I understand that the intention to keep all files in the cloud without 2 way syncing with a local folder aimed primarily home users, who would like to rather keep their files in the cloud as a backup. But for professional people and advanced users the feature of real live syncing their music with their cloud is a must have option. So to satisfy both worlds, I think it would be better to have an option to choose the behavior of the cloud sync and let users decide which one they prefer. And make one way sync by default, so ordinary users will keep their files even if they accidentally deleted all their local files.