Is Vox right for me?

Hi there,

I have had music stored by apple for nearly 20 years now and over that time my iTunes app has become a nightmare to navigate, especially all my old vinyl, cassettes and CD that I digitised/imported.

I’d like something a bit like iTunes used to be, something where I could make playlists and re-sort all the old playlists which stood in for albums, and are now a random collection of files, into new ones, ideally in the file manager.

I’d like to be able to add a few of my playlists to my iPhone without importing everything and I’d also like to be able to transfer a couple of old playlists from my phone to my Mac.

I have zero interest in having this stuff on the cloud and I don’t have any video, tv or other stuff, I just want a simple music manager that lets me find the music I want.

Vox, is this you?

Thanks in anticipation,

Mat

ETA: I’m running Catalina

My advise is not to do it. Support sucks big time at Vox, new features are only on paper and that’s it.
The Library is hard to control and most of the time you have the feeling that it’s still a hobby project instead of a real tool

Some examples :

• No Reply Gain ( we are waiting already two years for it now, but instead the focus all there power on a second uploader tool for music why ? and the advice for the moment from the Vox Guys is to modify you own tracks at normal level untill reply gain is there. Really? If you really are a company with love for Hi resolution files you know that is a rule which is not exceptable for us.
  • Various Artists albums, it doensn’t matter gow you tag it, it’s always a big mess
  • Mix Albums with various tracks, also again a big mess to sort it out.

There is enough to read here in the forum hat the main issues are and that it’s not being solved, so please first try it so see if it works but don’t have high hopes

I had also the some thoughts becaue I also have a big collection of own music but at the end I have choosen for Plex, you can control everything there, it’s workable and much better then Vox. Again. Vox have some good things ( the Unlimited cloud for example ) but my advise is, try it good before you buy it

Your reply helps me a lot.

I am also trying out vox, purchased a one month subscription.
I really like the cloud part and the hires playback but i am already looking further.

Your’e welcome

I have the same wishes like you and also tried Vox. I’m still using it but it has has limitations. And that’s not what I’m looking for. I want a all in one soloution. That’s why I’m now working with Plex. Is has also a lot of features and it also play the file Uncompresssed ( So Flac is really Flac ) Is has support for replygain and they new IOS app ( yes also a mac fan :slight_smile: ) Plexamp is really a smooth app. What irritates with Vox is the empty promises from the team. I know development is hard work, but 6 months we are already on leech for replygain and other things, they say new apps are coming, then have new improvements but we don’t see any. No Roadmap, no target date. It’s then better to say nothing to creat high hopes. People will only be dissipionted and the end

I am also a plex user, guess i have to keep my own cloud for now.
I already canceled my vox subscription, just doesnt feel right.

Yes, personally I would be really happy to get this in my VOX Player, as well as each VOX user I belive…however, to say the truth - it has never been an easy task to add this functionality to VOX app!

VOX uses a handmade Audio Engine, that provides with a number of benefits, such as Graphic EQ, BS2B, Crossfade, various lossy and lossless audio format support, etc,

On the other hand, that means our Audio Engine should be deeply re-customized in order to introduce “the sound leveling on a fly” feature, there is no ready solution to be implemented and it is quite a resource-demanding task!

Also, we have a couple of concepts that might work as well and might be less resource-demanding tasks (not as good as sound leveling on a fly, but still better than nothing!).

As for now, our dev.team stays focused on developing a cross-platform version of the VOX app, and after that, we will be looking for the best way of implementing this functionality on all platforms!

If you have any ideas on how should it be done, please don`t hesitate to share them with us!

• No Reply Gain ( we are waiting already two years for it now, but instead the focus all there power on a second uploader tool for music why ? and the advice for the moment from the Vox Guys is to modify you own tracks at normal level untill reply gain is there. Really? If you really are a company with love for Hi resolution files you know that is a rule which is not exceptable for us.

If you have added a id3 tag: “Compilation = 1” to your files, they should get to Various Artists section, like: Album name, by Various Artists.

• Various Artists albums, it doensn’t matter gow you tag it, it’s always a big mess
  • Mix Albums with various tracks, also again a big mess to sort it out.

Please see a related topic on our forum: How to tag files properly

Video Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxjlLrpGcM0