Can't play 'TuneSpan' tracks

I've recently started using Random Applications' "TuneSpan" to take a bit of pressure off of my laptop's hard drive. It's working great, and the 'spanned' tracks show up just fine in Vox, but when I attempt to play any one of them, the name of that track and all following tracks flash by rapidly with a "Loading…" message in the top panel of Vox — which then goes back to the "Vox" logo with no track playing. (Interestingly enough, Message Center shows notifications for each of the tracks as though they've been played.) I've checked "iTunes Music Library.xml", and the Location property is correctly set for each of these tracks (i.e., the new location ~not~ in the iTunes library folder), but Vox doesn't seem to be following this path. (The context-menu "Show in Finder" command in Vox also doesn't work.)

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Rick,

Sorry for delay in reply.

Does this happen on all iTunes tracks, even those that are still located on Your mac's hard drive?
Have You tried to re-scan the iTunes lib in VOX after You spanned Your iTunes library with TuneSpan?

No worries about the delay… like most, I have more library than I can listen to, so I haven't been sitting in silence in the meantime!

This only happens on tracks which have been spanned. All other playback functions of Vox function normally — radio stations, SoundCloud, etc. I've also verified that the spanned tunes play normally when dragged into a Vox playlist directly from the Finder, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with read permissions or corrupt files, or anything like that.

I have tried rescanning the iTunes library numerous times, and just tried again… but that may be another clue: when I choose "Rescan iTunes Library Completely…" from the Controls menu (or from the Source tab in Preferences) nothing seems to happen. I also have "Update iTunes Library on Startup" chosen in Preferences, but again, there's no noticeable delay when starting Vox. I have over 12000 tracks in my library, so it strikes me that this process ought to consume a bit of time.

Thanks,
Rick

Indeed, the process of re-scanning iTunes lib should not be very noticeable even on large sizes.

Looks like TuneSpan has to be supported by VOX to enable playback of spanned files. That also might be permission issue since when You drag files manually system uses the fact of drag as user's permission, but when app tries to access same file Mac OS X may refuse to give access for security reasons.

We will investigate into this further, thanks for letting us know.

meanwhile, You can download latest version with many fixes directly from our website: http://coppertino.com/vox/osx/ (use Direct Download button)

The discussion has been closed.