Vox can't seem to get ID3 Tags Correct

I just downloaded this app and like it for several reasons, especially your integration with CarPlay.

However, I just loaded some HD audio files I’ve purchased from HD Tracks and I can’t seem to get the files to show up in the correct Album/Artist category. The files are being loaded into the local file sharing (copy them to the app with my Mac) and are in ALAC format.

Most of the files appear to be in the correct Artist/Album category, but several songs from the album go into the Unknown Artist category. I have edited the metadata in the Mac OS Music app and it fixed some of the files, but one file remains stuck in the unknown artist category.

It just seems like a less-than-robust implementation and at this point I can’t see paying $50/year for something that makes it this difficult to load your music properly.

Any advice as to what I’m doing wrong would be appreciated.

thanks,
scott

@Agj45yhj9g: is it possible that some of your track’s meta tags include incompatible special characters or something? Also if you aren’t already, I would stick to using the ID3v2 version 2.3 instead of version 2.4 - I believe 2.3 is more widely supported.

Also, another method that might be able to override it so your tracks stay together in the same artist/album is to add the same exact Artist Name for every track but add it to the Album Artist tag instead. You can add the same artist name to both the Artist & Album Artist tags, it doesn’t really matter because I think when Album Artist tag is available, VOX will just use the Album Artist tag and ignore the other one. At least thats how its been working for me.

Also if the MacOS Music app you’re referring to is the new iTunes (basically), I would STOP using that one to edit your tags for VOX files at least. Try using MusicBrainz Picard (Free), I’ve had a lot of success using it!

Hope that helps.

No special characters in the band name, artist, or album title. I’ve selected all tracks in the Music app (yes, what used to be iTunes) and typed in the band name (Rush) into the artist and album artist fields. Getting another app to edit ID3 tags is just cumbersome. And with each edit of the album metadata, different tracks would appear in the untitled artist album. I’ve been a professional software developer for 30 years and this application has bugs that need to be addressed.

I’ve been using the Onkyo HF Player app for about 2 years now and never had these kind of problems with metadata tags. It all seems like a lot of trouble to go through for an app that costs $50/year vs. one that cost less than $10 for a one-time purchase.

As alternative, since those tracks are ALAC, we would suggest to try syncing them to your iOS device using Music.app (former iTunes) sync, instead of importing them via File Sharing.

You can find more options to import your music on your iOS device here: HowTo Upload music to iPhone iPad

If you would like to get some individual assistance, please don`t hesitate to reach our tech. support desk https://vox.rocks/support to get it.